Back in December, I became part of the organizing committee for Social Media Club South Florida (@SMCSF). It’s been great to be amongst others who care about growing the Social Media scene in South Florida as well as increase awareness and educate and of course, grow community.
This past meeting in June was focused on how creatives use social media to grow community and enhance their brand – aptly titled “Creative Community Engagement and Engaging Creative Communities.” We had a panel of 5 creatives:
- Steve Roitstein, musician (gopalo.com, @gopalo)
- Onajide Shabaka, artist (miamiartexchange.com, @onajide)
- Carlos Miller, multimedia journalist (carlosmiller.com, @carlosmiller)
- Maria de los Angeles, creative writer (sexandthebeach.blogspot.com, @vicequeenmaria)
- Irina Patterson, events (mylifeandart.typepad.com, @mylifeandart)
…and I moderated the panel.
We were able to cover some great topics, such as how they manage their social media efforts, their favorite apps, and how transparent they are to their followers. Afterward, Steve’s band, PALO! laid down some spirited Afro-funky grooves. It was a great night.